Sunday, June 23, 2013

The "EBT Challenge" Doesn't Add Up - Don't Believe the Hype!

There has been much media coverage in the past two weeks regarding the Farm Bill and members of Congress participating in an “EBT Challenge” to prove that EBT benefits don’t provide enough food to feed one person with the current benefit of $31.40 a week. When I saw my Congressman post online that he couldn’t sleep after eating two hot dogs and Ramen noodles, my blood started to boil. You see, I am a single working Mom. I spend less than this for food and my children are holding up pretty well. In fact, I believe the opposite: considering the state of our economy, benefits could (and probably should) be reduced.  

I spent a total of $58.63 to feed myself and my thirteen year old teenager for one week, well under the $62.80 EBT challenge amount for two people, and this included an unplanned purchase of 2 cases of PowerAde (my teen is in the gym training 15 hours a week and it was on sale). I did not make a list ahead of time, use coupons or price shop. Many of the items are brand name, and most are ready to eat items. Without the purchase of the sports beverage, I spent only $41.23 on food for both of us.

Farmers market
2 Yellow Bell Peppers          $2.76
2 Cucumbers                       $0.66
2 Red Bell Peppers              $2.79
Hass Avocado                     $0.79
4 Red Plums                        $1.76
Parmesan Bread                   $2.29
Potato Bread                        $2.29
Tax                                     $0.57













Kroger’s
Honey Wheat Bread          $0.88
Honey Wheat Bread          $0.88
Eckridge Smoked Sausage $2.50
Eckridge Smoked Sausage $2.50
Johnsonville Andouille       $3.00
Cheddar Cheese, sliced     $2.39
Provolone Cheese, sliced   $2.39
Deli turkey, sliced              $2.74
Hormel Genoa Salami        $1.00
Hormel Pepperoni              $1.00
Hormel Pepperoni              $1.00
Lay’s Chips                       $2.99
Mini Hershey Bars             $1.25
2 liter Diet Coke                 $1.50
30 PowerAde’s @ 0.58      $17.40
Tax                                   $1.30












My EBT challenge demonstrated to me that SNAP, which is supposed to be a supplemental food program, has become the “Cadillac Plan” of government welfare. While I certainly believe we should assist Americans who cannot purchase food on their own, I also believe that just as many Americans like myself shop within their budget and make sacrifices, so should those on the EBT program. When times are tough, I buy rice and dry beans. Being on EBT shouldn’t mean than you eat better food than those who work but don’t qualify for EBT.










No comments:

Post a Comment